1. How do I submit ECE Return – RS61?
In Juniorlogs, ECE Return is submitted with the help of ECE Return wizard, helping you to walk through each requirement towards submitting your return smoothly.
Before you get started, some important points to note –
• Child attendance for the return week should have been recorded
• Staff details should have been updated
• All children must have their NSN allocated
2. Initiating the Process: From MOE menu option, select ECE Return.
It will remind you to carry out the following tasks before initiating the process of ECE return wizard.
• Record child attendance for the return week
• Update staff details
• Ensure all children have been allocated an NSN
When you are sure that all the requirements are met, click continue to start the wizard.
ECE Return Week Date: You will see the ECE return week date, this date has been provided by the Ministry and will be set by Juniorlogs in the system.
Wait Times at Your Service: You need to fill the wait time for each specified age category as shown below.
Wait times: The time span from when children are enrolled to when they can attend your service.
The system calculates the wait times and populates this information for you automatically in ECE return. You can access your wait times from the MOE section on the left-hand side
For more info – See Wait Status Report
3. Teaching Languages at Your Service:
Fill the languages and the proportion of all teacher’s total time spent using languages in the ECE Return week as shown below.
The system auto populates the languages and percentage values in the ECE return by reading language settings saved under Edit Centre Page from the left hand side.
Edit Centre page can be accessed under Settings -> Edit Centre menu. Refer to this link
• Provide at least one language
• Note: The system will allow you to override any information in the ECE return ensure you have provided at least one language
• You cannot select the same language twice
• The percentage must total up to 100%
• The ‘Percentage of time taught in that language’ cannot be in decimals, zero or empty.
4. Staff Activity for the ECE Return Week:
Staff who were present at your service during this week will need to be entered here.
• For non-educator roles, check the box for any role that a staff member worked in this week.
• For educators, provide the actual contact start and finish times for all teachers who were teaching in this week.
• Do not include non-contact time and breaks of 15 minutes or more in the contact hours. If a teacher on the list was not present this week, do not enter contact hours.
• If you have used a relieving teacher during this week, add them to staff record and enter the relieving teacher’s contact hours.
Remove any staff members by clicking on the red trash bin icon and add staff by clicking on the add staff button to the right
• If Educators employment end date is earlier than ECE Return week date their names will not be present under Service staff list for the ECE Return.
• Educators with Educational role code who have left the centre before or on the last day of the previous ECE return, cannot be included in the current ECE Return.
• Note: If you add a new staff member while running the ECE return, the system will not add them to Return and to bring the staff member in the ECE Return please rerun the ECE Return.
• Staff/Educators Records can be accessed under Staff Record menu options. – See Staff/Educators section
Once you have entered all staff information a green tick will appear & once all the fields are filled the green continue button will be activated allowing you to continue forward.
The Staff Activity for the ECE Return Week screen will look like this.
5. Staff Roles at my Service:
When clicked, the details for each staff member will be shown as below. The system auto populates the staff details that are saved under the Staff/Educator record section. You can update the staff details in the ECE return as appropriate. The system will walk you through the options and guide you through these areas.
At least one Staff Role code must be selected for each staff
a. “This person has a ECE /HBC/HBE STAFF” Role: If Staff is working as teacher role or worked in this role during ECE Return week in the Service, please select this Role.
- Highest ECE Qualification Code – Please select the relevant ECE Qualification code
- Employment start Date – The date when the Staff started with the Service, this is an optional field. But if this field is filled then the system checks the validity of the date according to the MOE requirement: Start date must be before the ECE Return week date + 7 Days
- Employment End Date – The date the educator has left the Service is optional, however when this field is filled the system will check the date according to MOE requirements: End date must be before ECE Return year
- Staff Ethnicity – The Ethnicity of the Staff member must be provided (Ethnicity1 is mandatory and Ethnicity 2/3 is optional)
- Answer the questions :“Is this person a NZTC registered teachers”?
- When E12 or E14 ECE Qualification code for the staff is selected, the answer will be yes, any other will be a No. If Answer is yes, the following becomes mandatory:
- The teacher holds a NZTC practising certificate – choose the type of the practising certificate the educator has.
- Practising Cert Start Date – According to the MoE Requirements, if Cert Start date falls after a week of the ECE Return Week date, then the Educator cannot be added to ECE Return for that period.
- Practising Cert End Date – According to the MOE Requirement, if Cert End date is earlier than the ECE Return Week date, then Educator cannot be entered as a is Registered educator in the ECE Return.
- Is this person paid for this role at your service?
- Is this person permanently appointed in this role?
- Is this person full time in this role?
b. “This person has a SENIOR MANAGEMENT STAFF” Role: If Staff is working as a senior management staff member or worked in this role during ECE Return week in the Service, please select this Role. A person in this role working 25 hours per week or more is considered full-time.
c. “This person has a SUPPORT STAFF role” Role: If Staff is working as a support staff member or worked in this role during ECE Return week in the Service, please select this Role. A person in this role working 25 hours per week or more is considered full-time.
d. “This person has a SPECIALIST STAFF role” Role: If Staff is working as a specialist staff member or worked in this role during ECE Return week in the Service, please select this Role. A person in this role working 25 hours per week or more is considered full-time.
Contact Hours – A lot of checks are performed by the System so that it complies with MoE requirements. Contact Hours are only required when Staff has ECE or HBC role code. The Contact hours details can be left blank if the Educator has no contact hours in the ECE return.
- Staff with teacher roles can have multiple contact hours within a day
- Contact Hours Start and End Times cannot overlap
- Contact hours cannot be Recorded outside the attendance Hours for the ECE Return week
To fill the contact hours for each day of the week in the ECE return, please click on the green plus sign as shown in the below snapshot. Then select the contact hours start time and end time as shown in the below snapshot.
6. ECE Return Data Confirmation:
Your confirmation is required to state that all data contained in the ECE return is correct – either click on No to go back to Edit further or click Yes to confirm.
– To view all data contained in the ECE Return, Click on VIEW Button
– To Print the ECE Return details, Click on PRINT button
After clicking the Yes, you may see a warning message. This message occurs when there is mismatch between contact hours and attendance hours.
Press CONTINUE to submit the ECE return or press CANCEL to amend the hours.
7. ECE Return Submission Confirmation:
Final confirmation screen – any of the options below can be used as appropriate.
Please see ECE Return History section for accessing previously filed ECE Returns.