The amount of information required for the online version of ECE return is considerably less as compared to its paper-based version. Most of the information in ECE return will be auto populated by the system if all the information is entered correctly beforehand.
The online version of ECE return requires that the following information is ready before the ECE Return submission:
- Child attendance for the return week has been recorded
- Staff details have been updated
- All children have been allocated an NSN
ECE Return can be accessed from the left side menu option under MOE as shown in this snapshot.
ECE Return Screens
1. Initiating the Process: When clicked, the ECE Return option will remind you to carry out the following tasks before initiating the process of ECE return wizard.
- Record child attendance for the return week
- Update staff details
- Ensure all children have been allocated an NSN
Once all the details are up to date, click continue to start the wizard
2. ECE Return Week Date: You will see the ECE return week date, this date has been provided by the Ministry and will be set by Juniorlogs in the system.
You can overwrite the ECE Return week date according to your needs.
Juniorlogs has rules setup for the dates that can or cannot be entered, see below:
- Week must be start from Monday
- The system will not allow you to enter dates after the present day.
- The following warning message will be given if you have set the date before the ECE return week is over Select Continue or Abandon as appropriate.
Note: In the event of services submitting RS61 in the middle of the return period the users can perform this action in Juniorlogs. Ministry analysts will contact the services directly.
3. Wait Times at Your Service: Centre admins needs to fill the wait time for each specified age category as shown below.
Wait times: The time span from when children are enrolled to when they can attend your service.
- The system calculates the wait times and populates this information for you automatically in ECE return. You can access your wait times from the MOE section on the left-hand side
For Juniorlogs to calculate the correct wait times ensure your children’s dates are correct upon admission
Note: Users can override these codes in the ECE Return, to avoid losing any work please save your progress before opening any other areas.
Wait Status Report Screen:
The above report shows:
Total Count: Total children in each age category
Wait Counts: Children waiting in each age category
Wait Period: Average waiting time in months
Wait time: The codes against the wait period as recommended by the MOE
|NOWAIT||No waiting time|
|UNDER01M||1 month or less|
|01M03M||More than 1 month and up to 3 months|
|03M06M||More than 3 months and up to 6 months|
|06M12M||More than 6 months and up to 12 months|
|OVER12M||More than 12 months|
|NA||Do not provide for this age group|
4. Teaching Languages at Your Service: Fill the languages and the proportion of all teacher’s total time spent using languages in the ECE Return week as shown below.
The system auto populates the languages and percentage values in the ECE return by reading language settings saved under Edit Centre Page from the left hand side.
Edit Centre page can be accessed under Settings -> Edit Centre menu.
Note: The system will allow you to override any information in the ECE return ensure you have provided at least one language
- Provide at least one language
- You cannot select the same language twice
- The percentage must total up to 100%
- The ‘Percentage of time taught in that language’ cannot be in decimals, zero or empty.
5. Staff Activity for the ECE Return Week: Staff who were present at your service during this week will need to be entered here.
- For non educator roles, check the box for any role that a staff member worked in this week.
- For educators, provide the actual contact start and finish times for all teachers who were teaching in this week.
- Do not include non-contact time and breaks of 15 minutes or more in the contact hours. If a teacher on the list was not present this week, do not enter contact hours.
- If you have used relieving teacher during this week, add them to staff record and enter the relieving teacher’s contact hours.
- Remove any staff members by clicking on the red trash bin icon and add staff by clicking on the add staff button to the right
– If Educators employment end date is earlier than ECE Return week date their names will not be present under Service staff list for the ECE Return.
– Educators with Educational role code who have left the centre before or on the last day of the previous ECE return, cannot be included in the current ECE Return.
Note: If you add a new staff member while running the ECE return, the system will not add them to Return and to bring the staff member in the ECE Return please rerun the ECE Return.
Staff/Educators Records can be accessed under Staff Record menu options.
Once you have entered all staff information a green tick will appear & once all the fields are filled the green continue button will be activated allowing you to continue forward.
The Staff Activity for the ECE Return Week’ screen will look like this.
6. Staff Roles at my Service: When clicked, the details for each staff member will be shown as below.
The system auto populates the staff details that are saved under the Staff/Educator record section.
Staff/Educator Records can be accessed under Staff Record menu options.
You can update the staff details in the ECE return as appropriate. The system will walk you through the options and guide you through areas.
- At least one Staff Role code must be selected for each staff
a. Option – “This Person is a Playcentre Educator rostered/organised to be primarily engaged in the education & care of children” Role:
For a Staff member working as a Playcentre Educator in the Service, please select this Role and fill the required details as mentioned below.
Ensure all these fields have been filled in under the staff educators list from the left-hand side
– Highest Playcentre Qualification Code – Please select the relevant Playcentre Qualification code
– Highest ECE Qualification Code – Please select the relevant ECE Qualification code
– Employment start Date – The date when the Staff started with the Service, this is an optional field. But if this field is filled then the system checks the validity of the date according to the MOE requirement:
Start date must be before the ECE Return week date + 7 Days
- Employment End Date – The date the educator has left the Service is optional, however when this field is filled the system will check the date according to MOE requirements:
- End date must be before ECE Return year
- Staff Ethnicity – The Ethnicity of the Staff member must be provided (Ethnicity1 is mandatory and Ethnicity 2/3 is optional)
- Answer the questions
- “Is this person a NZTC registered teachers”?
- When E12 or E14 ECE Qualification code for the staff is selected, the answer will be yes, any other will be No.
If Answer is yes, the following becomes mandatory:
- The teacher holds a NZTC practising certificate– choose the type of the practising certificate the educator has.
- Practising Cert Start Date – According to the MoE Requirements,
if Cert Start date falls after a week of the ECE Return Week date, then the Educator cannot be added to ECE Return for that period.
- Practising Cert End Date – According to the MOE Requirement, if Cert End date is earlier than the ECE Return Week date, then Educator cannot be entered as a is Registered educator in the ECE Return.
- Is this person a NZTC registered teacher?
- Is this person paid for this role at your service?
- Is this person permanently appointed in this role?
- Is this person full time in this role?
- Contact Hours – A lot of checks are performed by the System so that it complies with MoE requirements.
- Contact Hours are only required when Staff has Playcentre Educator role code. The Contact hours details can be left blank if the Educator has no contact hours in the ECE return.
- Staff with teacher roles can have multiple contact hours within a day
- Contact Hours Start and End Times cannot overlap
- Contact hours cannot be Recorded outside the attendance Hours for the ECE Return week
To fill the contact hours for each day of the week in the ECE return, please click on the green plus sign as shown in the below snapshot:
Then select the contact hours start time and end time as shown in the below snapshot.
To add multiple contact hours for a day, click again on the Green + sign after filling the contact hours first time.
To delete the contact hours, click on Red – sign.
Contact hour errors:
- If contact hours are recorded outside the attendance Hours for the ECE Return week then system will show the below warning message and its user’s decision,
- Click cancel to amend the hours click on continue to proceed.
If you have recorded contact hours for an educator who has left the services before the ECE Return week date, the system will show the below warning message.
b.“This person has a SENIOR MANAGEMENT STAFF” Role: If Staff is working as a senior management staffmember or worked in this role during ECE Return week in the Service, please select this A person in this role working 25 hours per week or more is considered full-time
c. “This person has a SUPPORT STAFFrole” Role: If Staff is working as a support staff member or worked in this role during ECE Return week in the Service, please select this A person in this role working 25 hours per week or more is considered full-time
d.“This person has a SPECIALIST STAFFrole” Role: If Staff is working as a specialist staff member or worked in this role during ECE Return week in the Service, please select this A person in this role working 25 hours per week or more is considered full-time
7 ECE Return Data Confirmation: Your confirmation is required to state that all data contained in the ECE return is correct – either click on No to go back to Edit further or click Yes to confirm.
- To view all data contained in the ECE Return, Click on VIEW Button
- To Print the ECE Return details, Click on PRINT button
After clicking the Yes, you may see a warning message. This message occurs when there is mismatch between contact hours and attendance hours.
Press CONTINUE to submit the ECE return or press CANCEL to amend the hours.
8. ECE Return Submission Confirmation: Final confirmation screen – any of the options below can be used as appropriate.
9. ECE Return History: Access the previously submitted ECE returns from left hand side menu panel – see below.
ECE Return history tab allows you to edit, view and print previously submitted ECE returns.
– Use EDIT option if you wish to reuse the data which has been submitted in the previous ECE Return, or simply EDIT the current one.
– Use VIEW option to view the Return
– Use PRINT option to print the ECE Return details